Home MUSEUMS MUSEO MONTALTO

Museo Sistino Vescovile di Montalto

E-mail Print

Inaugurated in March 2002, the museum lies in the nineteenth century building of the ex-bishopric seminary and holds works of art coming from Montalto and its hamlets Porchia and Patrignone.
In addition to the rich vestments embroidered in gold belonging to the first city bishops (in particular the chasuble of Francesco Saverio Castiglioni, who became Pope Pius VIII in 1829), there is also a striking exhibition of a painted cross from the XIII century, paintings, wooden sculptures, furnishings in silver and a notable collection of processional crosses from the XIV and XVI centuries that have been recently restored by the Opificio delle Pietre Dure of Florence. The most important among all of the gifts that Sixtus V lavished on his homeland is the so-called Reliquary of Montalto, an absolute masterpiece of French goldsmith art from the XIV century. From an elaborate silver base rises a flat surface where the dead Christ is depicted, held up by angels, and with other scenes from the Passion.
This work is an extraordinarily precious piece with mixed media made using gold, Vermeil, enamel en ronde bosse, gems, pearls and a cameo in sardonyx.
The execution of the precious handiwork is probably connected to the Parisian workshop of Jan du Vivier who was commissioned by the Royals of France towards the end of the XIV century. From here it arrived at the Vatican treasury after having been part of important noble collections of the fifteenth century, such as that of Frederick IV of Tyrol, Lionel d’Este in Ferrara, and Pietro Barbo (future Paul II) in Rome. Cardinal Barbo had the reliquary modified with a cover on the back and base by a Venetian goldsmith (1457-1464).
Pope Sixtus V, native of Montalto, found the reliquary in the Sacri Palazzi of Urbe and decided to give it to his homeland months before it was elevated to the status of a diocesan seat.
Among the Sistine gifts are also the majestic vestment of Sixtus V comprised of a great cope, chasuble, stole, maniple, and corporal bag, together with two tunicles and an antependium with the papal coat of arms. Produced around mid XVI century, the vestment is made of satin of red silk woven with gold threads, while for the papal coat of arms an application technique was used that was commonly used in Europe between the XVI and XVII centuries. The preciousness of the fabric is due to the elaborate nue or shaded gold technique, already known and used in the XIV century for making very important vestments. This technique uses a lot of gold threading, which is spread out over the support of the cloth design. The gold is then hidden through polychrome silk threads of various tonalities, providing efficient chiaroscuro effects. Both the cope and the chasuble are embellished with embroidery with grotesque figures and saints enclosed inside oval frames.

INFORMATION ON THE RELIQUARY OF MONTALTO


MUSEUM PHOTO GALLERY

Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Montalto Croce di Masio di Ciccarello Croce di Masio di Ciccarello (particolare)

Places in the Piceno

See the page Places and Itineraries for information on Montalto Marche.

 

Back to Sistine Museums

 

INFORMATION

Site: Palazzo ex seminario

Piazza Sisto V - Montalto Marche

Exhibition surface: 600 sqm

Wheelchair access

Didactic laboratory

Opening Hours

Tel. 347 3804444

info@museisistini.it

Site

 

Busto

 

Comune Montalto Marche Diocesi San Benedetto del Tronto-Ripatransone-Montalto